Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Will They Hold Me Accountable?


Back in early February as a result of participating in UMCG's Women's Retreat, I began a journey to "Create Sacred Space in the Chaos."  Here's an excerpt from my initial post about my 'Call to Action'. 
As part of the offering, we wrote down one commitment we will make in response to the weekend's retreat. I wrote, "I will commit to 10 minutes of silent prayer and reflection each morning and will write a daily reflection on how my journey toward creating this new habit of sacred space is going."  I know 10 minutes seems trivial, but the small step is by design; in part so I don't get overwhelmed, so I'll never find an excuse not to take the 10 minute retreat into sacred space, and so I can enjoy some success in acheiving my goal.
"Never find an excuse"? Boy did I underestimate myself. I did remarkably well up until spring break. You'd think being on vacation would allow for more time of devotion and reflection, yet somehow I let it drift. And, I've not gotten back into the groove yet. 

I had visions of participating in next January's Women's Retreat and sharing my story of growing in grace through my daily discipline of spending time in scripture, prayer and quiet listening for God's message to me. Instead, I will have to confess my failure and share how I am a broken person who can not live up to God's standards.

Fortunately, through Jesus Christ, we are forgiven. So, I will also share that months after my lapse, I decided to re-commit to this daily ritual, daily discipline, daily practice to create sacred space in the chaos. And to anyone who will listen, I will share that God's grace is good and given freely, even when I don't follow all the rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment